Sunday, October 9, 2016

Forgiveness is Not a Club

i remember when I was little being told in Sunday school to pray for forgiveness of my sins. I didn't know what "sins" were, much less why I needed to ask for forgiveness of them. I only knew that I was supposed to pray because that was what Christians do and that if I prayed I would be forgiven... whatever that meant.


There seems to be an ill gotten notion that by simply saying words we can be forgiven. Christians are forgiven of their sins, but not in the way we are told in Sunday school. It is more than squeezing your eyes shut and mumbling some words. Forgiveness takes more than a pretty phrase or the right tone of voice.

I'm going to do a couple posts on forgiveness because it seems to be something easily misunderstood or mispresented. Of course I'm no expert, I only know what it is I read and have been told, and what the Lord puts in my hands. Today let us focus on what forgiveness is.

What is Forgiveness?

It is the washing away of sin, the purifying of our souls. Gods forgiveness of our transgressions is what allows us to enter heaven with Him.

Where Does Forgiveness Come From?

Forgiveness comes from the Lord. It used to be that animal sacrifice was necessary for forgiveness. We do not need to sacrifice anything for forgiveness anymore because His son sacrificed himself for us. The Lord forgives because we have already been washed clean by Jesus's sacrifice. 

Who Can Be Forgiven?

Forgiveness is not just for those of us who went to Sunday school and learned how to squish our eyes shut juuuust right while praying. Forgiveness is for anyone, from the pastor to the day old believer. We are all sinners and none of us are perfect. We all need forgiveness.

God is big enough to forgive everyone on this earth. Forgiveness is not finite, it is massive, a flood, waiting for us to fall into it. 

"As far as the east is from the west" says Psalms 103:12,  " so far has he removed our transgressions from us." Forgiveness is an awesome force, just as God is all that is awesome and mighty. You don't have to be an elite Christian to have forgiveness.

How Do We Become Forgiven?

That is a complicated question with a lot of answers. But for this post, let us simply say that you must ask. But you must ask with true intention and true faith. You must repent and seek to change your ways. A halfhearted desire to change leads to halfhearted prayer. The Lord offers us a great gift in forgiveness, it is only right that we off true thanks and true desire for that gift.

A Prayer for Forgiveness

Tonight prayer for forgiveness of whatever sins you know of with an open and well meaning heart. Let yourself be washed clean by the Lord. I hope you find peace in this prayer and open yourself to God tonight. This prayer is from the book of Psalms by King David, who did many wrongs, but found solace in the Lord.
Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
    blot out my transgressions.
Wash away all my iniquity
    and cleanse me from my sin.
For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is always before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight;
so you are right in your verdict
    and justified when you judge.
Surely I was sinful at birth,
    sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
Yet you desired faithfulness even in the womb;
    you taught me wisdom in that secret place.
Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
    let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins
    and blot out all my iniquity.
10 Create in me a pure heart, O God,
    and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me from your presence
    or take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation
    and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
    so that sinners will turn back to you.
14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God,
    you who are God my Savior,
    and my tongue will sing of your righteousness.
15 Open my lips, Lord,
    and my mouth will declare your praise.
16 You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
    you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
17 My sacrifice, O God, is[b] a broken spirit;
    a broken and contrite heart
    you, God, will not despise.
(Music rights to the artist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment